Thursday, November 12, 2009

Post Processing & The Lovely Jillian

First off, I would like to thank this incredibly patient and beautiful model, Jillian Mauldin.



Sometimes I believe I think too much. I'm sure of it even. Lately (and for a long time) I've been thinking about "purity" in photography. I've never been too crazy about a lot of over-processed work, and even struggle with the idea of shooting digitally, and then processing the images to look like what one would do with film. Nonetheless, I TRY to do so. Though I've shot a lot of film in my life, I really don't have first-hand experience with many processing techniques, specifically cross-processing. I understand that it can be a bit of a crap shoot, though there are obviously some repeatable and predictable results. I'm not even suggesting that this photo is an attempt at a cross-processed look. I think it's somewhere between that, and an old (antique, out-of-date-film?) style. I try to do as much as possible "in-camera", but as far as I know, this image would be nearly impossible to produce straight from a digital camera. It's certainly beyond my ability. I rather like the image though, and I guess I'm as comfortable as I'm going to get with the methods I've used to produce it. I can't afford film and it pisses me off. I seriously doubt I could produce something all that close to this with film anyway. However, I do feel that it's a fairly successful attempt at a "film look". Is it pure? Nah, it ain't pure.

I would love to hear some feedback on this.




No comments: